Thursday, June 30, 2005

Microsoft and Apple

Tangential to the topic of this Blog, but a delicious exchange on the CNI-Copyright list:

On 29 Jun 2005, at 22:55, Terry Carroll wrote:

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, David Dailey wrote (about IP protected plants):

A wee bit of digging on the net tells me it is really neither copyright nor patent but plant law. Chapter 57 of Title 7 specifically deals with the 1970 Plant Variety Protection Act which provides legal intellectual property rights protection, to developers of new varieties of plants that are sexually reproduced.

Wow. I guess Microsoft could get a patent on an Apple, then.

Oh, wait, see Plant Patent no. PP14,757 at
:

Apple tree named 'Burchinal Red Delicious'

Abstract: A new and distinct variety of apple tree which originated as
a sport limb mutation of 'Wells and Wade cultivar' Oregon Spur.RTM. of
red delicious apple tree (U.S. Plant Pat. No. 2,816), characterized by
a more uniform deeper red color, developing much earlier than fruit of
other red delicious varieties, and having a thicker stem and longer,
deeper red leaf midvein.

Inventors: Burchinal; Robert (East Wenatchee, WA)
Assignee: Microsoft Corporation (Redmond, WA)
Appl. No.: 313685
Filed: December 6, 2002

(Actually, while this is a real patent and Microsoft *is* listed as assignee, the assignee listing appears to be a clerical error on the part of the office of the patent attorney whose does work for both the inventor Mr. Burchinal and Microsoft. See here... But it's a golden delicious mistake, if you'll pardon the pun.)

4 comments:

  1. Hi The Parachute. I was looking for skydiving gear related information and came across your blog. Very good reading! I have a skydiving gear site. You'll find info on skydiving gear, equipment, drop zones, powered parachutes, tandem sky diving, base jumping and more! Check it out when you can :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic blog you've got here The Parachute, I was looking for drop zones related information and found your site. I have a drop zones site. You'll find info on skydiving gear, equipment, drop zones, powered parachutes, tandem sky diving, base jumping and more! Stop by and check it out when you can. Enjoy!
    If you have a site similar to mine and would like to exchange links, please contact me through my website.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi The Parachute. I was looking for skydiving supplies related information and came across your blog. Very good reading! I have a skydiving supplies site. You'll find info on skydiving gear, equipment, drop zones, powered parachutes, tandem sky diving, base jumping and more! Check it out when you can :)
    If you have a site similar to mine and would like to exchange links, please contact me through my website.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi The Parachute, very unique blog you have! I was looking for skydiving supplies related information and came across your site. Very good info, I'm definitely going to bookmark you! I have a skydiving supplies site. You'll find info on skydiving gear, equipment, drop zones, powered parachutes, tandem sky diving, base jumping and more! Please visit and enjoy!
    If you have a site similar to mine and would like to exchange links, please contact me through my website.

    ReplyDelete